“We’re Here! We’re Queer! We’re the 99%!”

Recently I was asked to be a part of a queer writers collective and project, the In Our Words blog. According to the site, In Our Words is:

“1. Independent queer activist and literary salon founded in 2011 by Nico Lang and Patrick Gill, with barrels full of assistance from Chicago’s LGBT Change, the Civil Rights Agenda, Queer Intercollegiate Alliance, and, of course, from the queer writing scene. (Note: the opinions of our writers do not necessarily represent the opinions of our partners.)
2. An exciting project that seeks to bridge the queer non-profit, activist and cultural sectors, in ways that are inclusive and affirming.
3. A narrative of our shared history, featuring the stories, creative works and voices of queer writers, young and old, calling for change within and outside of the LGBT community.
4. A hootenanny of massive proportions.”
This week I wrote about Occupy Wall Street and how we musn’t forget that queers are part of the 99%. Read the beginning here and click on the link to read the rest of the article on the site:

Militant! Radical! Spectacle! Revolutionary!

These are words that, at one point in time, could have been used to describe queer activism and organizing in the US. From Compton Cafeteria and Stonewall, to ACT UP and Queer Nation, the fight for LGBT liberation was about justice by any means necessary.

Read those words in the paper today, and it’s unlikely they’d be describing the LGBT movement. And as of a few weeks ago, there’s a good chance they’d be describing the Occupy Wall Street (OWS) protests. Thousands of people have taken over public spaces in New York and other major cities across the country to protest a system so unjust that it enables 1% of the wealthiest global elites to make economic decisions that hurt the rest of us in the 99%. The movement has been criticized for its “incoherent message,” but others appreciate the way a broad vision allows for a diversity of tactics and opinions. When I attended the Occupy MN rally in Minneapolis, I was met with an extremely diverse group. All the regulars were there—the anarcho-punks, the hippies, the moms for peace, the labor unions; but there were also people in work clothes, middle aged folks with signs about unemployment, and Ron Paul supporters.  For better or for worse, the protests are attracting any and all demographics that feel outraged by the current economic conjuncture……Read More!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s